Saturday, March 9, 2019

What to remember when laying out my Double-Page Spread!

Layout is important for the organization of the article to ensure that it is easy to read and pleasing to the eye. I made myself a checklist that I will look back on to remind and help me with my double-page spread. 

I got inspiration by looking at the images of two double-page spreads. For example, the fonts in "Arctic Tundra" go along well with each other while the rules were broken in "What's On This August." 

For the layout of my double-page spread, I am going to:
1. Use a grid from Canva and add information into it to make it my own. I will use the grid-lines to ensure that there is order on my page. 
2. Choose my font pairings. I am going to ensure that the fonts that I choose work well with each other and is easily legible. 
3. Align my type. Using the grid-lines will help the reader's eyes follow and the consume the type as it'll be neatly aligned. 
4. Get the reader's attention. Pull quotes are a great way to do this using the points that really stood out in the article. It will possess both the general tone and content of the article. 
5. Make the information on the page important. Ensure that the most important pieces of information, such as headings, titles, images, captions, etc. stand out more than the rest of the article. 
6. Design my images. The image, placement, style, and scale of images play a huge role in engaging the audience. 
7. Make a relationship between the images and the text. A great way to do this is by having a "conversation" between the two. Maybe consider integrating the type onto or on top of my feature image. 
8. Know the rules and break them. Doing something out of the ordinary is always a great way to catch the reader's eye.
9. Read it through. It has to make sense the entire way through - printing it out and reading it on paper is an idea on how to do this. 
10. Ensure the voice fits the article. It has to be one that correlates with what's being talked about. For example, if the article is about parenting, the writing should be informal as if the writer is a mom and is talking to who is reading it as if they are giving them advice on how to do it. 




Resources:

Inspirational and Attractive Magazine Page Layouts.” Onextrapixel, 8 July 2013, onextrapixel.com/inspirational-and-attractive-magazine-page-layouts/.

“A Designer's Checklist for Designing Awesome Multi-Page Layouts: 15 Must Know Tips – Learn.” About Canva, Canva, 7 Jan. 2019, www.canva.com/learn/multi-page-layout/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR