Friday, March 15, 2019

How to take pictures of food

I am going to take the images for my magazine on my iPhone 8 Plus. The camera is a duel 12-megapixel camera on the rear side on the phone, which is where I'm going to be taking the pictures from(instead of using the front camera). Moreover, I did research so that when I take pictures next week, I know more about how to take the best pictures of food. Here's what I learned:

- Shoot in natural light, outdoors or indoors, for the best color.
- Take control of the shadows, it can make or break the image.
- Use a neutral background so that the color of the food pops. 
Shooting from above is often the best choice, especially when the food is arranged on a plate or bowl.
- Arrange the food neatly - presentation is everything.
- Decorate the scene to create a story with the image.
- Keep it simple but expose for the highlights.
- Enhance the colors with editing. (I will use an app on my phone to edit the pictures before uploading them to the computer to format them on my magazine.)
- Choose the right surface to place your food on. 
- Take pictures from several angles so you can decide which looks better.
- Use a grid setting when taking the picture to ensure the focus is where you want it to be.

To be completely honest, I was planning on taking pictures this weekend but there was a leak in my house and it became a mess. As a result, my production process has to be delayed. I bought a few ingredients for it (as you can see in the picture below) but I am going to have to wait until next week until I have a clean kitchen to cook in. I can't wait to make it and then eat it after I'm done!

Resources:

“13 Tips For Beautiful & Tempting IPhone Food Photography.” IPhone Photography School, 13 Feb. 2019, iphonephotographyschool.com/food/.

Fantozzi, Joanna. “A Food Stylist Reveals 10 Tricks That Will Take Your Food Photos to the next Level.” INSIDER, INSIDER, 25 Aug. 2017, www.thisisinsider.com/how-to-take-better-food-photos-2017-8.

“Food Photography 101: How to Take Perfect Pictures of Your Food - Product Photography.” Shopify, 31 Aug. 2017, www.shopify.com/blog/food-photography-tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR